Wednesday, April 7, 2010

atheltics

I grew up in an athletic family. My father played basketball throughout most of his life, as did two of my three brothers (one of which is in the NBA right now). I was on the baseball team as a kid, and played basketball throughout elementary school. I stopped applying myself as much in that area when it came time for high school, but I've always had good hand-eye coordination and the build of an athlete.

I think it's a marvelous thing. Every once in a while, I get bewildered by the fact that, say, Michael Jordan's body and mind would have been created to make him the best basketball player in the world. What if we had never concocted a game where you bounce a ball, and throw it in a hoop? What else could MJ have been the best at?

One could argue that, in fact, the kind of skills and physical prowess someone like Michael Jordan (or Pete Sampras) possess would be much better put to use doing something economically astute like chopping lumber. But who knows? We all deserve leisure time, it gives us the space to find happiness and then it will motivate us to participate in the work force/economy. So thinking it through, the NBA is just as much of a driving factor in productivity and forward-progress as anything else. Though, what we are progressing towards, is a whole other question. WHOAAAA

No comments:

Post a Comment